Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Aunt Jessi is here!!!

Today we went to the San Francisco airport to pick up my sister, Jessi, who has flown in from China for the summer. It was Kalin's 3rd trip to an airport and his second time to make the trip to greet his Aunt Jessi. The timing was such that Kalin's only morning nap was 5 minutes in the car before we arrived in the parking garage at the airport. I had hoped that he would sleep most of the way to the airport. I had even given him his pacifier and blanket but he wasn't able to calm down enough until we were almost at our destination. I guess I still expect him to sleep the way he did when he was in his rear-facing seat and was reclined. We haven't taken very many long trips with him forward-facing yet but he definitely does not sleep as well. He did surprisingly well today on only his 5-minute nap and we made it home in time to get him down for a good 2-hour afternoon nap. He did end up being really cranky this evening so we put him to bed much earlier than normal - I hope he doesn't wake up before 6:30 tomorrow morning.








Kalin had fun in the airport playing with my dad and running around. He wasn't quite sure what to think of his Aunt Jessi at first but he warmed up to her. He liked to look at her a lot.




He is still very "talkative" but we don't know what he is saying most of the time. He says "ding" when the toaster oven dings, says "ra ra" to imitate a dog barking, says "ah ah" to imitate a monkey and, aside from the other words that I've mentioned in previous posts, says "ba" for just about everything else. I've realized though that there are quite a few things in his world that start with either "ba" or even just a "b". Tonight he was singing my praises as he just kept repeating "mama" over and over again. That makes me so happy :-)





As with most infants and toddlers, Kalin is fascinated by other people's shoes. He loves to put them on and try walking in them.














He still amazes me every day with the things he understands. Kasey asked him this morning if his feet were cold and if he would like some socks - he signed pleased then went to his room and grabbed his socks off the floor. I was looking all over the house for his milk cup and finally asked him if he knew where it was - he walked right into his room, opened the cupboard on his dresser, and pulled out his sippy cup. I keep having to remind Kasey and myself that we need to be really careful now what we say around Kalin because he is understanding a lot more than we realize.


He is still a funny funny boy who can also be really really frustrating. I'm doing my best, with only the help God can provide, to make sure that I spend more of my days in laughter than in frustration. Some days I don't do too well but more and more I'm finding a patience within me and wisdom I didn't know I had to approach each situation in the most productive and loving manner. I love the moments when I'm successful in remembering to look at Kalin and see that precious little baby I fell in love with and the active toddler who is so full of life and eager for experiences instead of the sometimes willful, tantrum-throwing, rebellious little boy he can be. This is all part of growing up, right? This is the stage we're at right now and I know with some patience and wisdom we'll come through this just fine. We truly are loving this stage of Kalin's life (I think I say that about every stage) and look forward to whatever lies ahead.

No comments: