Sunday, April 26, 2009

Number 7






Kalin's 7th tooth has arrived!! It's his lower left lateral incisor - those are the ones right next to the teeth in the middle. He now has 4 teeth on top and 3 on the bottom. (sidenote: this picture has nothing to do with his new tooth - it's just a goofy picture.)



We had a good weekend. Kasey had lots of homework to do so we did our best to just stick around the house so he could get that done. I was really cagey on Saturday morning though and mentioned that once Kalin woke up from his nap he and I would head to K-Mart. Kasey then reminded me that the car needed gas. I could have insisted on being a big girl and just filling it up myself (sadly, something I have never done) but he assured me that he didn't mind sitting in the car reading while Kalin and I shopped. He then agreed that a trip to West Cliff after our shopping trip sounded like a good idea. It was slightly chilly but the sun was out and it was a beautiful and windy day.










Because Kalin slept in that morning ('til 8:30!) his nap had been later than usual which made for a weird schedule. I had assumed that by the time we got to West Cliff he would be ready for a nice nap in the stroller. Well, he didn't nap in the stroller and he didn't nap on the drive back home either. I just knew that this meant it was going to be a crabby evening for him and would probably result in a really early bedtime. He wasn't crabby and he didn't go to bed early. He ended up being awake for over 7 hours. That's a long time for him!!


Sunday started early (I guess he wanted to make up for letting us sleep in the day before). He even got a rare Sunday morning nap before church. During his afternoon nap I became a gardener - sort of. We had bought a tomato plant and a red bell pepper plant at K-Mart because I really, really, really want to grow some of my own stuff. The big trees that surround our house are a blessing and a curse. A blessing because they provide us with shade and keep the sun from reaching us. A curse because they provide us with shade and keep the sun from reaching us. It's hard to grow sun-loving veggies when you can't find enough sun during the day!! But we're experimenting with container growing. It's my job everyday to drag the container around the front of our house while following the sun. I've been watching where the sun hits for the last couple weeks so I have a pretty good idea when and where I need to place the container. We'll see how things go. I realize this has nothing to do with Kalin.

The rest of our Sunday was uneventful. Kalin didn't eat a whole lot today (his eating patterns are still random) but had a blast playing ball with Kasey.

Have I ever mention how Kalin helps me cook? If he sees me get out my food processor or KitchenAid mixer he automatically brings me the jar of olive oil. I had him help me once when I was making hummus - he brought me the beans and the olive oil. So he always assumes now that I need the olive oil. It's very cute. Tonight I was getting my mixer set up to make some cookie bars, the bowl wasn't attached because he likes to play with it, so I turned around to pick it up off the floor and Kalin was standing behind me, holding the bowl and trying to hand it to me - then he brought me the olive oil :-)





Some other cute things:

1. In Goodnight Moon, when the line "And the quiet old lady whispering 'hush'" comes around he whispers "hush" either before I say the word or right after I say it.

2. I randomly asked him to bring me the Pooh Bear book where it's hot and he walked over to a bunch of books sitting on the floor and came back with Pooh's Very Hot Summer Day. He's so smart.

3. At the beginning of the aforementioned Pooh Bear book, Pooh wonders if it's hot everywhere. Kalin copies my hand motion for "wondering".

4. In general he has become more imitative of my hand gestures and facial expressions.


The video I took of him saying "chocolate" didn't come out very well. He whispers it every time so you can't really hear it. I'll try to get more video some other time.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

i love it! such cute little things he does - the olive oil is great! i'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy west cliff on saturday, though the discovery of kalin's ability to stay up for 7 hours is probably a bit scary, huh? don't want to let go of that afternoon nap yet!!!

Kasey Martin said...

olive oil, 2 jars of apple sauce, corn muffin mix. . . is Kalin a culinary genious?

Lindsey said...

Don't forget the two kinds of vinegar and soy sauce...I'm not sure I want to eat whatever it was he wanted me to make.