Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Squawky Talk

I've got some video of Kalin talking. It might hard for you to really understand what he's saying because he doesn't speak words very clearly (and he tends to leave the last letter off) but trust me, he's saying them. His favorite words are chocolate, hot (he'll even say this when he sees steam coming from food), hat, and sock.

It's tradition that when we get back from our walks I let him play with my water cup. He now feels like he deserves to have water in it so he can drink it like a big boy. I'll put a quarter of an inch of water in it for him and he does fairly well for a 16 month old. He's at least learned that he needs to hold it with both hands and he gets it to his mouth and then tips it - just a tad too far. He ends up soaked and sputtering but always asks me for more by holding the cup up to the sink and signing "please". So the other day he was holding one of my measuring cups and looked at me like he was asking me what it was called. When I told him it was a measuring cup he immediately went to the sink and asked me to fill it with water. I guess he heard the "cup" part and figured it was for drinking. The other day after a water cup incident where there was a nice puddle on the floor he grabbed a kitchen towel and started wiping the floor to clean it up.


The other day, when it was foggy, I mentioned to Kalin that it was foggy outside. He gave me an odd look then walked over to his froggy toy, picked it up, and handed it to me. I was a little confused at first until I realized how much "foggy" and "froggy" sound alike.

Kalin has been having some random meltdowns recently. Sometimes they're brought on by him being told "no" or getting in trouble for something. Even when that happens though he kicks it up a notch to this meltdown - or tantrum I suppose. But sometimes it seems more random and it leaves Kasey and I feeling like we did when he was a newborn and he was crying and we couldn't figure out what was wrong or what he needed. Thankfully, they're over pretty quickly. What makes them sad though is that, most of the time, it's not an angry cry, it's a sad cry.


Kalin and I visited with Sarah and Luke last Tuesday at their place in Santa Cruz. We had a good time and enjoyed playing at the park together!!

Kalin (and Kasey) have both been a little bit sick this past week. Thankfully it's not nearly as bad as the last bug that hit our household.

Kalin loves to see doggies on our walks and gets upset when we can't stop and stare at them for an hour.

He loves it when we sing the ABC's. It can calm him down when he's upset and makes him smile whenever we sing it to him.

I am amazed every day at the things he can understand. I love that he knows what I'm saying when I'm talking to him.

He is still a picky eater sometimes. It's mainly the meat I can't get into him still. Every once in awhile he goes on a green veggie strike - he still loves his carrots though! I was frustrated last week that he wouldn't eat any green beans so I started hiding them in his food. I would make him a little pizza on a piece of wheat bread and I would mash the green beans up and mix them with the sauce. It worked!! He ate a serving of green beans and didn't even know it! I was starting to think I was going to have to revert back to my pureeing days. I got so desperate that I even made him a fruit smoothie yesterday with some green beans and soy beans mixed in. I tried it and you could only taste the berries. A few minutes later he surprised me by eating 2-3 servings of green beans and carrots that I had just cooked. What is up with him?!?! He also did really well today with eating his green beans. I guess he'll just have some off-weeks and some on-weeks.

Kalin really surprised me today with his stacking abilities. Check out how he got the soy sauce to balance on the little top of that vinegar!! I was quite impressed.

No comments: