Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dis or Dat

I think we're finally done with presents...at least until next Christmas. We finished up celebrating Kalin's birthday with two parties this weekend. On Saturday we hosted a small get together at our house for our friends from Bethany University. We had a wonderful time, ate some good food, and watched Kalin run around the house. I had planned the party at a time that I thought would work out well for Kalin's nap schedule. I figured I could get him down for a late morning nap and he would be good to go for 3 or 4 hours, making it through the party being happy and pleasant. He ended up only taking a 30 minute nap. Thankfully, there was enough stimulation with all the guests here that he did better than I had even hoped for. But boy was he tired by the time everybody left!! Kasey and I put him down for a nap then kind of collapsed ourselves. We knew we should probably clean-up but did not have the energy for it. We put away only what was necessary (refrigerated items) then put a movie on and just relaxed. We were so exhausted that evening that we went to bed much earlier than usual.
Even though I had specifically asked for no presents, people brought some anyway. I guess it's hard to pass up the opportunity to buy a present for a one year old. Kasey thinks that next year we should make the request for no one hundred dollar bills and see what happens :-)



Sunday was another busy day. After church we headed to Watsonville to spend time with some of my family. It was also Kalin's last party. He got some really fun stuff from both my aunt and my mom. I am so thankful for friends and family who love our little boy and who are so generous with their time and money. I'm also thankful that we won't have to go through this present overload again for almost 12 months. I guess this is the way it's going to be every year. It's a hazard of having a child so close to Christmas.


It was nice that Kasey got Monday off as a holiday. It gave us a day to just relax and let the 3 of us hang out together. We ended up taking a nice walk and stopping at the park to see if Kalin would be interested in the playground yet. It was his first time in a swing and he didn't care for it too much. He did have fun on the little springy toy and he enjoyed walking up to another little boy and grabbing his shirt. The other little boy just kept pointing at Kalin's shirt and saying "Mickey!". Apparently he had just recently taken a trip to Disneyland and recognized Mickey Mouse on Kalin's shirt.


Kalin has been a big grump today. I haven't been able to pinpoint the reason. He's got a bit of a snotty nose...maybe he's not feeling well? His drooling has picked up...maybe he's teething? He also hasn't eaten much today at all. He was refusing food at lunch. I hope we're not hitting a "picky eater" stage but I guess those usually come sooner or later. Maybe he just didn't feel like eating. This is around the age when their food intake generally slows down anyway because their growth slows down. But, again, maybe he just isn't feeling well. At any rate, this is one of those days where I couldn't wait for it to be naptime.

We've noticed sometimes when he points he'll say the same thing over and over. It usually sounds like either "dis?" or "dat?". We're thinking it's his way of either asking for "this" or "that" or he's asking what something is. I think it's very exciting!! He is definitely a vocal little boy now. I'm hoping to capture it on film soon.

I got so excited last night!! He actually played with the same toy for over 10 minutes!!! I believe that's a new record for him. That's the first time he has focused on one activity (besides eating) for any length of time. I know it's normal for toddlers to be extremely active and have very short attention spans but I'm really happy to know that he is capable of concentrating and focusing on one thing.

No comments: