Thursday, January 1, 2009

He's a big boy now!!


We've had a great time down here in Hemet these last few days. We've been able to see some old friends and also spend lots of time just relaxing. It's been refreshing.


We had our Christmas "South" with Kasey's family on Saturday night after we got into town. We had breakfast for dinner (my favorite!!) and then opened presents.

On Sunday we were able to make it to church where I got to see many people that I have not seen in a very long time. It was fun to introduce Kalin to them. Some had seen him at Easter so they had fun seeing how much he had grown. One of my really good friends, who lives in Mississippi (and soon Hawaii!!), I hadn't seen since last Thanksgiving when I was still pregnant!!

On Monday, we relaxed and took a long walk around the neighborhood. Kasey and I also did something that we aren't able to do at home; we went out after Kalin was in bed!! We went to Marie Callendar's for a piece of razzleberry pie (yummy!!) and to Wal-mart.



On Tuesday we headed to Murrieta to spend time with the Priors (Kasey's sister and her family). I also went out with a friend to try on my bridesmaid dress for her wedding in April!! We had a really good time (and really good pizza) except Kalin would not take a nap!! So he went the whole day with only about 20 minutes of sleep. Needless to say (so why am I saying it?), Kalin was very cranky and very ready for bed by 6:30. Kasey and I again went out after he was in bed!! This time though it was to get groceries for Kalin's party the next day!!




Wednesday was my sweet little Kalin's 1st birthday!! It was fun in the days leading up to his birthday and especially the night before to look at the clock and say "What was going at this time a year ago?" I woke Kasey up when I heard Kalin making noise in the next room. Apparently he wakes up kind of early but will talk and "sing" to himself for awhile. It's nice because he's not upset and crying so we can go in and get him while he's still happy!! So when Kasey and I decided to get up I grabbed my camera and we went to wish Kalin a happy birthday!! I took a picture of him right when we walked into the room then Kasey and I sang Happy Birthday to him. It was a fun way to greet him and to celebrate the day of his birth. I burned his special candle (that his Grammie bought for him) through year one and family came over around 12:30-1 and we had spaghetti and meatballs for Kalin's birthday meal!! Kalin was past ready for a nap by the end of lunch so I put him down for a nap that lasted over 2 hours!! He would have kept sleeping except some family members needed to get going for their New Year's Eve plans (I have a feeling we'll run into these issues every year) and I really wanted some cake!! So we woke him up, opened his presents (he wasn't too thrilled about this part) and then had cake (he loved that part)!! We had bought some party hats (surprisingly hard to find) that the family had fun wearing but Kalin wouldn't leave it on for longer than a couple seconds (not surprising). It was a very fun day that ended with Kasey and I going out (again!!) after Kalin was in bed. We went to my sister's house where she was a having a little get together. We made it home just in time to welcome the new year. We laughed when we realized we haven't stayed up this late in a really long time and also when we realized that last year we went to bed around 7.


Kalin has had some big boy moments this week. As I was putting him to sleep on Saturday night, we had his noise machine and projector on. The projector was rotating through stars, moons, sheep, and a cow and projecting it onto the ceiling. Kalin and I had fun watching it go round and round as I pointed out and named the different objects. I had stopped doing that and was concentrating on getting Kalin to nurse when he looked up at the ceiling, did the closest thing to a "point" that I've seen him do and said "Baaa". I looked up and sure enough, there was a sheep being projected on the ceiling!! I told him what a smart boy he was then turned the projector off so he would stop being distracted. I was quite proud of him though.

Another "big boy moment" has actually happened two separate times. Kalin has pooped in the toilet. Not really on purpose though. Kasey was giving him his bath and he started to poop in the bath tub so Kasey, being the quick-thinking person he is, grabbed Kalin and held him on the toilet. I didn't find out about the first time until Kasey came out of the bathroom with Kalin and told me. The second time though, Kasey called for my help and when I walked in and saw what happened I told him to wait a minute so I could get a picture. It was really funny.

So we now have a one-year old and we are looking forward to what the next year may hold while enjoying this fun age and stage of learning and exploring. As I was putting him down for a nap on his birthday I spent a few minutes just staring at him, memorizing his features, marveling at how big he is and thanking God for the last year and all that it held. In the dimness of the bedroom, I realized that his sweet, sleeping profile looked exactly how it looked as he laid in his bassinet in the hospital the day he was born. I then prayed for the year to come and all the milestones and exciting adventures we're sure to have. His Grandpa Ken gave him two things that he should accomplish in this coming year: learn to talk, and learn to climb a tree. I'm not so sure about the tree climbing but the learning to talk is an excellent goal for this year.

No comments: