Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lull

I would love to tell you how my lack of posting is due to the fact that we've been extremely busy doing all sorts of exciting things and that I just couldn't find the time to sit down and type. In reality, it's just been kind of boring around here. There really haven't been any new skills or major developmental milestones reached in the last week. Things definitely have slowed down in that department since Kalin turned one. He changed and developed so fast in that first year. In Kalin's first couple months there were all sorts of milestones reached - smiling, holding his head up during tummy-time, tracking objects with his eyes. Not to mention that his little face and body were changing every day. Here we are, 6 weeks after his first birthday, and he's basically the same as he was on December 31st, 2008. I know that there are still some really exciting things to look forward to in the next few months but there's really no telling when he'll hit those milestones. He's been drooling up a storm for months so I'm hoping one of these days 5 teeth will pop out (it'll make all the drooling and crankiness worth it if more than one tooth comes out). I've been labeling every item he comes into contact with hoping one day he'll say the name of the item back to me. I know his little brain is absorbing all this information and that it might still be awhile until it gets translated into words coming out of his mouth. But for now, our days are very predictable (which is nice) and kind of boring. We play alot. We walk when the weather is nice. We read lots of books. We laugh. We say "no" a million times a day. Here's a little look back on our last week or so:

1. We watched Luke on Wednesday while his mom met with students on campus. We had a wonderful time! Kalin and I were looking at pictures of Luke on his mom's blog today and I kept pointing at Luke and saying his name. I think it would be fun if Kalin can learn to say Luke's name. It will probably sound something like "uke" or "yuke" but I'm excited for when that day comes.



2. Kasey and I had our Valentine's Day date on Friday. We took Kalin to my parent's house and headed to Gilroy. We had discussed doing a dinner and movie (typical) and then running some random errands which are just easier to do without a baby. We decided, as much as we love movies, that we wanted to do something a little different (and cheaper!). So instead, we went to Barnes & Noble. We used to do this when we were dating and had nowhere else to go. We would find a bunch of books or magazines and then sit for hours reading. It was so much fun and such a flashback to our pre-Kalin days. I don't even remember what we did last year. Considering Kalin was only 6 weeks old I doubt we even thought about doing anything. Our lives were pretty much consumed with Kalin and squeezing sleep in wherever we could. Anyway, so my mom watched Kalin for about 6 hours while we were out and about enjoying our baby-free selves. We spent the night at my parents and spent all day Saturday there visiting. Kalin did very well with my mom and apparently learned how to drink from his sippy-cup and like it. He also was much more obedient for her than he is for us. How does that happen?!?! We say "no" he smiles at us and continues what he's doing. Or he just keeps going back to whatever the forbidden activity is even though we've said "no" and pulled him away. My mom says "no" and he stops what he's doing. I'm so happy that he wasn't a big pill for my mom but where's the respect for your parents, kiddo?


3. I finally scheduled his 12-month appt. with the doctor. I had been waiting for an insurance situation to get resolved and it finally did on Thursday. I immediately called the office and scheduled his appointment. Unfortunately, they can't get us in until the 26th. So his 12-month has become a 14-month appointment. Oh well. At least we're finally getting that done.


4. We had some fun weather on our drive to my parents. We were driving along the 1 in Aptos and it started hailing!! It was so crazy and fun.


5. Kalin's getting cagey. It's been raining off and on all week so our walks have been a little sporadic. Today it hasn't stopped raining which we love but I think that it may have contributed to Kalin's grumpiness.


6. We cut Kalin's hair. I did the front on my own but was too nervous about doing the rest without help. A couple days later Kasey and I did the back. It...umm...turned out alright :-) It really isn't that bad...if you don't look too closely.


7. Kalin likes to stand on things. His bike, his pony, and the little rocking chair at my parent's house.


8. He had his first taste of a smoothie from Jamba Juice. He enjoyed it.

9. He ate cereal. Not baby cereal, but Cheerios in a bowl with milk.


10. He got into my flour canister.

11. I got him a silly songs Sesame Street DVD from Netflix. He actually sat on my lap for 10 minutes and watched part of it. I figured since he likes to dance maybe he would enjoy the songs.
I know little by little he's growing and learning and that someday soon I'll be writing about how he looked at me and said "Mama" or pointed at a book and said "book" or that he has 5 new teeth!! There were these lulls in developmental milestones in the first year and then all of a sudden 5 amazing things would happen in a short period of time. I guess we're just in one of those lulls. I need to sit back and enjoy where we're at...even if doesn't make for good writing material.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is GREAT writing material - at least for other moms :) It's so exciting to see Kalin grow, and to see all the fun things we have to look forward to with Luke. I'm so glad you and Kasey got a chance to get out alone together for a while, too. We have always loved hanging around book stores!