Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Quicker Picker-Upper

I could have used some Bounty today. Unfortunately, I'm too cheap and buy the 89 cent rolls of "Basic Red" from Safeway. Let me back up...

I've been thinking recently about weaning Kalin. Maybe not completely but about half-way. He just doesn't seem that into it anymore...and I'm starting to feel that I may be losing my love for it as well. I guess it's a good sign though if we start to lose interest at the same time. It will probably make it less painful for both of us. He still asks me for milk but more than half the time he'll take a sip then get distracted by looking around or talking to me. It's sweet until it gets annoying. He ends up twisting all around like he's a contortionist while still trying to take a sip here and there. It's rare that nursing Kalin is relaxing or fun anymore. It turns into a wrestling match. He typically nurses 4 times a day - in the morning, around 11 am before our walk, around 3:30-4 after his afternoon nap, and then 30 min. before his bedtime. I'm thinking about cutting out the middle sessions.


So to prepare him for this change, we've been trying him out with some good 'ol cow's milk. His little body has been handling it just fine (for which I'm thankful). It took a few days for him to get used to the taste and not just let it dribble out but he seems to have warmed up to it alright. He usually gets his liquids by cup - not bottle and not sippy cup - just a plain old cup. However, he's not coordinated enough to hold it himself without spilling it so we end up holding it for him. But if I'm going to be giving him several cups of milk a day I don't want to have to hold the cup for him all the time. We tried the sippy cup back when he was 6 or 7 months old and he used it for about a week. He just didn't like it so he has actually gotten really good at drinking from a regular cup. I don't really want to go backwards though and teach him how to use the sippy cup when he's almost mastered drinking from a cup. I thought I'd give him another go at it and see what happened. I put the sippy part in his mouth and he just looked at me like he was saying, "And what would you like me to do now, mom?". So that wasn't going to work (I was secretly thankful for that). There is a removable valve in the lid of the cup that is used to control the flow of liquid. I took that out, knowing that I could still end up with a mess if it got tipped over, but also realizing that it would be a much smaller mess than if there wasn't a lid at all. This seemed to work alright and I finally got him to hold onto the handles of the cup and do it himself. Of course, then the inevitable shaking of the cup occurred along with tipping it upside down. He created a nice mess on his tray, the floor and on his head. I also found out that he preferred the milk warmed rather than straight from the fridge. So, tomorrow, we'll try cutting one or two nursing sessions out and practice some more with our cow's milk and cups.

It makes me feel good knowing that I'm not forcing my kid into things he's not ready for. When we taught him to fall asleep on his own at night it wasn't traumatic and he took to it really well and quickly. That showed me that he was physically and emotionally ready for that step. And now that we're taking "baby steps" in the direction of weaning, it's comforting to recognize the signs of nursing-disinterest on both of our sides. Most of you know that even a month ago, I was dead-set against weaning him just yet. I wasn't emotionally ready and I wasn't catching any signals from him that he was ready either. I think the process that has led us both to this point was teaching him to fall asleep without nursing. He realized that there are other ways to find comfort and rest that didn't require nursing.

I might still be sad when he's completely weaned but I know that it will also be freeing. With every step and process we've taken and gone through I've had to let go of a lot but I've also gained a lot. I've gained more time to myself, more time for Kasey and I as a couple, more time to catch up with friends, and more time to rediscover my passions. We'll see what this next phase may bring.

No comments: