Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sleepy?

Kalin's asleep in his crib. Kasey's in bed reading, about to go to sleep. So why am I up blogging? Good question. I would like an answer to that myself. The last few nights have not been kind to me. I toss and turn for over an hour before my body and mind finally give in to the sleep that my eyes have been burning for. So tonight I decided to just not go to bed at the normal time. I'm wondering if my body is telling me that I don't need as much sleep right now as I think I do. Apparently it only takes a month of awesome sleep to make up for a year of horrible sleep. I think my body is trying to get me to back off of the 10 hours of sleep I have been getting and make it a bit more normal...somewhere around 8 perhaps. So, it's either stay up later or get up earlier. I'm voting for staying up later. So here we are. Filling this time with, hopefully, interesting thoughts and ramblings.


It has been a good and fun-filled few days for our family. On Friday, my parents came up to visit and play with Kalin. They brought with them some yummy food from Costco. It was the last opportunity to see them before we head down south for Thanksgiving. They got to witness the fun game of "chase" that Kalin and Kasey play every night. On this night, Kalin was being held by my mom and everytime he would spot Kasey (who was hiding behind the chair) he would bury his face in her shoulder and try to climb her. It was really cute and my mom got a big kick out of the game. Usually this game is played in the evening when I'm doing dishes and Kasey is on baby duty and they chase each other around the chair and Kalin squeals and laughs with delight. The advantages of this game are two-fold: Kalin has loads of fun and it wears him out so much that he's exhausted and ready to fall asleep fast. The disadvantages are also two-fold: It takes me longer to do the dishes because I'm constantly turning around to watch the fun and it hurts Kasey's knees to crawl around like that. I would have to say that it is one of Kalin's most favorite games.


Saturday night was a night that I had been looking forward to for a couple of weeks. One of the ladies here on campus organized a craft/scrapbooking night on campus from 6pm-12am. I don't scrapbook and I'm not very crafty but the thought of getting out of the house on my own and fellowshipping (one "p" or two?)with other ladies in the Bethany community was too exciting to pass up. So I racked my brain to come up with some project I could work on. And I finally came up with it. Kalin's baby book and photo albums!! It was so nice to have a little break that night and to get something fun accomplished. I did come home at 8 to put Kalin to bed (who was worn out, bathed, and ready for bed...Thanks honey!!!), then went back around 8:30 to about 10:15. I got a lot accomplished (although there is still much to do). The organizer is hoping to do something like this once a month so hopefully I'll be able to join in the fun. I also may have found myself a couple of walking buddies who might join me on occasion. Woo hoo!!


Tonight we joined some families from our church (most of whom we had never met) for dinner at one of their houses (the host family were the only people we knew). It was a fun and casual get together. Kalin enjoyed it but may have gotten a bit overwhelmed with all of the commotion. He did do quite well with their dog considering he's only been around one other dog (and that experience was not so good). He was a little concerned about the dog at first but then seemed ok, until after dinner when he refused to be put down if the dog was in the room. I guess we need to expose him more to animals so he can learn how to play with them. Of course, I'm not crazy about dogs coming near me and jumping on me or licking me either.

And now for a few little tidbits about Kalin:


Kalin's favorite new toy is dad's baseball bat. He spent much of the day picking it up (he's such a strong little boy!!) or pushing it around the house. I'm sure that pleases Kasey immensely :-)





When Kalin was a newborn, he used to make the sweetest little squeaking/sighing noises while nursing. The last couple of days he has started to make noises almost similar...except now it sounds more like a whine/sigh. But it reminded me so much of those first few weeks. Ah, the memories.



I've noticed recently that Kalin doesn't laugh as often as he used to. Is this because he just doesn't find as many things funny? Are we not trying as hard to make him laugh? Maybe he's just becoming more sophisticated in his humor. Well, I decided to bring back something that made him laugh for a couple of days a few months ago. I sing "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so..." and then I repeat the word "so" except I say it really fast and high pitched and I tilt my head to one side. I guess you'd have to see it to understand but it made him laugh again so I was happy.




He loves it when Kasey and I hug or kiss in front of him. He looks at us with a huge grin on his face. Kasey asked him one day if it made him feel happy and secure knowing that his mommy and daddy love each other so much. I hope it does. Of course, he also got a big kick out of Kasey and I pretending to punch each other. But he also loved it when we danced around the kitchen together. I guess he's just really into physical comedy.


Alright, it's almost 11. I guess it's time to try going to sleep. I might read for a bit.


We'll be heading down south Tuesday night/Wednesday morning (driving through the night hoping to beat the traffic) and returning Saturday night/Sunday morning (again, hoping to beat the traffic). It will be our 4th trip down since Kalin was born. It's gotten easier every time. There is still so much to do before then: Grocery shopping for supplies for the road; figuring out what food to pack for Kalin, what food Kasey's parents will already have, or what we should just buy when we get there; packing; finish laundry (Kasey actually did most of it for me today...Hallelujah!!); making my lists of things to pack; making sure arrangements are made for Kalin's bed to be set up already when we roll into town around 1 or 2 in the morning. I'm glad Kasey can pack for himself because it's hard enough packing myself, plus I have to pack for Kalin. I always take way too many clothes. I just never know what I'll feel like wearing. Oh well, it will all get done, we will get out of here, and we will have a wonderful time with family and friends.


Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!!

2 comments:

KR said...

Lil' KR does look good with a baseball bat in hand! Kasey must be happy that he's not playing with a soccer ball! So is he a righty or lefty? Too early to tell? Happy Thanksgiving!

Kasey Martin said...

he can make money playing soccer I'm okay with that, as long as he doesn't play like one of those "breath on them and they go down like they've been shot" guys (which is most non-American soccer players). I'd be okay if he wanted to be a placekicker too, all I'd have to do to help him practice is tee up a football (and make him run after it after he kicks it). Hopefully he'll be lefthanded, or even ambidextrous, but yeah it's too early to tell.