Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat.

A few thoughts for tonight:

I love that bathtime with Kalin has become Kasey's special job. I don't really feel like I'm missing out. I love the fact that it's something that they do together. For several months, bathtime was done in the middle day which meant Kasey missed out on it altogether. Now that we do it at night, Kasey is able to be present and it gives me a much needed break from Kalin in the evening. Plus, I can still hear the laughs and giggles and splashes, no matter where I am in the house.

It struck me last night how nice it is that Kalin sleeps so well now. Mainly because I'm not rushing to get into bed myself as soon as he's been put in his. Up until a couple months ago I would be filled with dread everytime I got back into bed because I never knew how long I would be in there...5 minutes? 1 hour? 3 hours? There was so much uncertainty. Now, I can put him down, get myself a bowl of cereal and surf the net, catch up on e-mails, or blog for a couple hours, knowing that I won't hear from Kalin until somewhere around 7. It's wonderful. It has also finally given me the opportunity to read again.

We're introducing Kalin to the world of big boy utensils. We bought him a set of toddler utensils at the store yesterday. It was fun watching him inspect them and play with them. He never did get food onto them by himself but he tried. I also bought some bowls, thinking that it might be easier to chase food around a small bowl, rather than around his tray. An odd thing happened tonight when I brought a bowl out for him. He had been refusing to eat much of anything besides cheerios and cheese tonight, ignoring the yummy turkey burger I had made for him, until I brought out the bowl. I put the pieces of meat in the bowl and he started scarfing them down. Did they look more appetizing in the bowl? Did they taste better? Was it the thrill of a challenge in getting them out of the bowl? Or was it just plain fun? I'm guess it was just more fun. He ended up eating his entire burger and most of a banana that way.




I'm looking forward to this Friday. Why? Because that's the day we're going to get our Christmas tree!!! It's going to be so much fun!! Leading up to this holiday season, I was a little bit jealous of several couples I know who have just had their babies in the last few months. They were all looking forward to celebrating their baby's first Thanksgiving and first Christmas just like me...but they had only had to wait a few months. I've had to wait almost an entire YEAR!!! Silly thing to be jealous about, I know, but I was. But I got to thinking tonight...Kalin is going to have so much more fun than the other babies. I'm going to get to watch him walk/run/fall among the trees at the Christmas tree farm, tear open his presents, and enjoy some of the holiday food. The other parents have to wait a whole other year to have these experiences. I can't wait until Friday!!! I love Christmas.

No comments: